Tuesday, March 10, 2009

February A beginning

Feb09-Im working on a difficult issue in my life. Somehow I need some help so...in the Big Book of Alcoholics Anoymous , page 12 it says "it was only a matter of being willing to believe in a Power greater than myself. Nothing more was required of me to make my beginning. " I felt some relief while reading this so I decided to do my Feb piece on this. I found a fabric I wanted to use. I wanted to work in a color I dont love to push my comfort level a little. I used some gold angelina and felted it into the fabric. I just beaded on top of this. I didnt know what would happen, infact throughout most of it I did not have a plan. I did play with some stitches From Robins book. I used the small bugle beads in the lower left corner to make what turned out to be dahlis. I tepeed them. I really like the effect,though close up all you can see is the flaw of the thread between the beads. I want to work with this a little. My objective while working on this piece was to feel the presence of "something other then me. This was my exercise. It helped some but as they say progress not perfection. I need to become willing in order to allow in the Sunlight of the Spirit. This is a beginning for me.


10 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Julie, the page is diverse and very eye appealing, even though you didn't have a "plan". I never have a plan. Not in my beading and not in my life. I'm lucky it all turns out so well.

Good luck on your 12 step journey. Funny about that higher power thing. Of course there is a higher power, but what. Most look to God. I look to the power of the universe. I'm glad you're working the steps. I like to look at your beading too. It really is very pretty.

KV said...

This is a beautiful piece, Julie. When I opened your blog and saw the photo, I immediately fell in love with all of it.


Kathy V in NM

Robin said...

"Be willing to believe"... The very fact that you worked this piece shows that you are willing to believe and that your faith is rewarded with beauty... What am I trying to say here? I guess it's that you had faith as you chose not-so-favorite-bead-colors and started stitching that it would all turn out... and it did. Your beautiful beading seems to be a symbol of your willingness to believe.

And, hey! The dalias are awesome! I love those white beads too... I rarely use white... but love how they look in this piece. I'm also VERY smitten with the background fabric.

Do you have troubles getting your thread tangled in the angelina fibers? In the enlarged version, I can see there are many stray fibers...

Beautiful work (beads AND spiritual), Julie!

Hugs, Robin A.

Brenda said...

What a beautiful page, Julie!
I can look at it and see how connected to spirit you are.
You are so beautiful!

pam T said...

As always, I find your beading so beautiful... the colors, the beads you choose...
There is definitely a higher power for all of us... believe and you will find the way.

heidibeads said...

This page came out so well. I love what you've done. It's nice to take a phrase and traslate it into beads and you've done a great job with it. It's beautiful.

Susan Elliott said...

Hi Julie, thank you for coming by and commenting on my piece -- for it led me here this morning to your piece -- which has lit up my soul. Your work strikes me as very soulful and your heart is so very tender and hope-filled. From many of your posts, I can tell that you have times where you struggle. I admire so much your willingness to admit it and to plunge forward -- your FAITH is HUGE...

Your beading this month is very faith-filled -- I really like the angelina fiber effect and the pink bugle bead "frame" is my fave. Your beading very much reminds me of "scrumble" work in crochet -- a technique and style that is very appealing to me. It's very you, it's very beautiful. Here's a link in case you don't know what I mean...scroll down to check out a bunch of different ones...
http://prudencemapstone.blogspot.com/

I hope you feel like you are a success because you ARE. Lots of love, Susan

Corinne Loomer said...

Julie,
Your piece is beautiful and so full of life! I love all the beads and the textures. co

Marva Plummer-Bruno said...

Oh this is amazing!!! Just beautiful!!! Thank you for your comment on my heart and thank you for the inspiration!!! Marva

Sabine said...

Great page, Julie. It gives me the feeling that I could dig and dig, and find new beautiful beads under each layer. (I have yet to learn to use my beads so generously.)

Sabine