Friday, August 28, 2009

July: The Wren

Though I like the theme of my July piece I couldnt really figure out how to portray art wise so I feel its rather childlike. I decided to leave it though since simplicity is kind of my subject matter. I had a pair of wrens that were kind enough to nest in my front yard. We really had to readjust our front yard activities to avoid their house and not disturb them-believe me they let us know if we got to close. I became very vigilant every day to check on their progress. I saw how hard they work to raise a family. My ultimate thrill was going to be watching the babies fledge. One morning I went out with my coffee to watch and to my surprise they were all gone. It was totally quiet. I was really disappointed but also thought about how I was able to stop and listen to their song which is very powerful for a small bird, hear their chattered scolding, and just get out of my head for a time. I feel really honored that they chose my yard. I really learned from it.

4 comments:

Brenda said...

What a transformation!
Instead of being locked inside your bird is out singing!

Good for you, I like it when your bird sings!

Susan Elliott said...

I love that you chose to celebrate the birds coming to live in your front yard...too often, folks don't even notice. Congratulations for seeing beauty everywhere, Julie.

KV said...

I love this piece, Jules! And your commentary was especially wonderful, too.


Kathy V in NM

Robin said...

I love the child in you, Julie, totally beautiful, innocent, precious and refreshing! You are the wren and the sun and the flowers and the song. This piece is a self-portrait of Little Julie... am I right?

I have so many questions about this one... did you paint the flowers? How? What about the music and notes? Rubber stamp??? Oh please do tell... I know the story is the gift, but inquiring minds still gotta know...